Sunday 4 March 2012

Break the Rules..........

We will be lying to ourselves if we do not accept that at some point of time, we start feeling pretty bored in life, in its monotonous ways and in its set patterns. We go on doing the same thing, the same way, day in & day out.
Sometimes every one of us look back to our past and wonder.... where have those golden days gone?
Those days when a small festivity, a marriage, an outing or even some visit of relatives used to bring tons of excitements. But those were in the days of our childhood.
When we grow up every one of such occassions bring a lot of works, responsibilities and we get so bogged down under this that the excitements have no chance to peep in.

I feel so suffocated. Can't we break the rules and rewrite the ways of life. No not possible. But each one of us (ok, with some exceptions) have our own way of revolting.

When I started serious photography, the initial days were so fun and exciting. Learning so many techniques, handling so many equipment, driving hundreds of miles to shoot with friends, spending hours and days talking about photography; all put together getting into another world.........

But again, all those turned out to be routine at some point of time. I found myself getting a little withdrawn.......... like I am not enjoying it any more, I mean in the same way. I wanted some new way, some new way to express, some new way to break out of the mundane things.

So I started in my own way,  with BABY STEPS......
Break the Monotony



In an outing to a Fishing hamlet when everyone of us were busy taking the sea and sand and sun in some way, I composed a frame which breaks the so called laws and named the image "BREAK THE MONOTONY".

Many people liked this and praised this. That was the starting. After that, I have done many such experiments and to my surprise, most of the images are liked by the viewers.



The image on the right is a candid shot taken in Hampi. I have intentionally sliced off one portion of the woman's face and named this "FACES_ ONE AND HALF"; a non symmetry.



It is true that by nature, all human beings like symmetry and search it everywhere. That is the reason why designers seldom dares to break the rules of Symmetry and like Square and circle.

 Slowly I started to rediscover my photography. I started to experiment with my own thoughts and express it in my work. I tried with candids, I tried with colours, I tried with whatever I thought can give expressions to my thoughts.



This one is shot in Jaisalmer. I have shot the beautiful Jaisalmer Fort in black and used it to enhance the Colours of the Sky and define the Point of view more meaningfully.

Similarly the image below is a very low angle shot of Beautiful Gaisar lake of Jaisalmer during sunset, another of my favouite ones which is also liked by many.


It was a 10 days trip to Rajasthan in which I spent a couple of days in Jaisalmer. Those days were the golden days of my photographic career, so far. It was like doing what your heart loves the most. From morning till I retired to bed, the complete waking hours were dedicated to my passion.


The Bee Eaters

Jaisalmer had offered me many opportunities to express my views. And that includes the one with my favouite subject, Bird; but in a different way. I tried to depict the Flora & Fauna in a painting style and also tried to create a mood of thoughtful retrospection by my little darlings who are generally so restless that it takes highended lenses to shoot them.


While pursuing this new form of photography I found that Black & White can be another mode  which is bold and very expresssive. It is a style so versatile that it can create mood like a poetry and in some other frame can also point out something very strongly.

An Woman

This is a very simple yet expressive image. On a backdrop of pile of logs this elderly woman was walking slowly; in reality she was searching for unburnt coal in the side of Railway Tracks & I was waiting in the station for my train. This woman had something which was making her standing out of the otherwise a very common scene. The way she dressed, the way she was moving and her body language, all together there was a story.



Black & White have many times helped me in selective highlighting and creating a story or a drama within the frame. This is an image which I love very much for its story telling appeal with lot of dynamism. This is also one of my works which is going to be exhibited in "ART OF CHENNAI 2012" from 14th March.
The Moment of Birth

1 comment: