Sunday 24 May 2020

Life in streets

Giant wheels in Dussehra fair

After shifting to Delhi, I had lot of time to myself when there would be no friends to drop in, no social calls to respond; no obligation on this front. I could plan all by myself, for me and in total liberty to cancel them at any time for some reason or just like that. There were friends but all at a distance and used to exist over phone only.
I started falling for a different genre of photography which was not exactly my forte. Earlier I tried this genre only with my friends of PSM (Photographic Society of Madras). But now having limited options otherwise, I embraced Street Photography. It was fun because I could do something which I love the most in the days of solitary confinement (of soul).
DLF Cybercity, Gurgaon
Street photography is a genre where it is all about composition. You have to make it meaningful in that one frame. While this is a challenge, it offers opportunity to express creativity and make something interesting from mundane day to day street life. There are many maestros of this genre whose work has become immortal just because of their artistry.
The oldest spice market of Asia: Khari Baoli, old Delhi

I can visualise many images of Henry Cartier Bresson, Steve McCurry, Raghu Rai whenever I think of good photo; but when it comes to capturing something on my own out of the street scenes I get confused and my knees become weak.

In my early days in Delhi, I used to be apprehensive to take out my camera in a crowded place as I had heard (like most of us) enough about the paranoia of security and temperamental attitude of people. But slowly I discovered that people behave mostly in the same way all across the country, be it Kolkata, Chennai or Delhi. You have to be patient, non-intrusive and wear a friendly look; above all a street photographer should respect other’s privacy and mood.
Colours of Diwali

After sometime when I started trying my hands in street, in many occasions bunch of kids gathered around and asked me to take their photo, just for fun. Few others wanted me to take photos in their work and send them. In all such cases, I used to feel very happy. I have observed that once you get connected to the people, they become friendly and accept you; as a result, you can get many photographic opportunities.
The Rangoli colour boy

Even after acquiring all this knowledge, my skill sets failed to get any presentable street photo for quiet sometime. After several trial and errors, I started getting few “Ok” images.
In the second year of my stay I discovered that a Diwali market sets in, near to my house in Dwarka, Delhi. It used to be a yearly affair, on the day of Diwali. There would be many vendors selling their produce (for Puja, Home decoration, artefacts, sweets etc.) on that day.
Diwali Market

Next year, I spent a couple of hours in the Diwali market and got a few images. Next year I went again and got couple of more images. Same place, same pattern, same kind of people selling same stuff but still I found some new frames. And that is the beauty of any kind of creativity.
I think frame is the most important concept. Our early ancestors, used to draw images across walls in their dwellings where there would be no limit of space set by any frame. One could use any amount of space, he needed to complete his story.
An afternoon in Connaught place

But a frame limits the space and you have to tell your story within this. It’s challenging. One can see things from one’s perspective but viewers may not have the same perspective. So, a same picture may mean differently to different viewer.
Actually, all these are quite complex. Psychology also has contribution in this aspect. The net result, I keep my photography to myself and be happy to love it.  
Handicrafts stall in Dilli Hat

Dili Hat (market place) was one of my favourite places where we used to go during winter days. I found more than one Dilli Hat, but the best of them all is the one opposite to INA market. Delhi Tourism takes good care of this place. This is a paradise for handicrafts. I loved to go there mainly for getting some pictures but I also liked to see those artefacts. While my wife would be shopping, I would keep on trying to take some pictures. In one such visits, I tasted Kashmiri Kahwa for the first time in my life; the taste of the concoction was heavenly and was very different from the taste of tea which we are generally accustomed with.
Diwali market

 I found Connaught place to have a vibrant street life. The streets and lanes are full of life and contrasts; in winter months they also wear great colours. I like architecture and hence those pillared walkways had special attraction for me. It was one of the places where I discovered the urban street life at its best. There are quite a number of good food joints; we had tried a few when my daughter used to stay with us. But after that, it was mainly photography and window shopping.
Pillared walkway in Connaught place

After getting a few good pictures, I started taking my camera out for street photography. Delhi has un countable places where one can shoot. But with limited time and limited enthusiasm, I had gone only to a few of them. It was just to keep my heart beating and keep my inner self happy.

4 comments:

  1. Good Photo Collection.Interesting read as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ones all dear Moshai! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Blog. Thank you for sharing. Good Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great. You have an eye of a photographer and skills of a narrator

    ReplyDelete